Since its inception in 2017, the program has trained 154 middle and senior managers from 58 Small and Growing Businesses in East Africa. Nearly one in three companies that send one manager to this program end up sending more managers after that – a testament to the program’s effectiveness.
The Argidius Foundation and the Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE) declared Amani Institute the winner of the Argidius-ANDE Talent Challenge (AATC) because this award-winning leadership program provides an innovative and highly effective leadership development solution that creates value for Small and Growing Businesses (SGB) that leads to immediate improved business results. Thanks to this recognition we are now scaling this program globally - renaming it Leadership for Growth - with courses running also in India and Brazil.
Amani Institute is currently running the Leadership for Growth program in an in-person format, adhering to strict covid-19 prevention measures. The classes are thoroughly fumigated, social distancing of 1.5 metres observed between participants and we have a mask-on policy during the classes. Intake for our next cohort (beginning 7th May 2021) is currently underway. If you are interested in sending managers to the program, you can nominate your managers to join the next cohort now and we shall respond with additional details.
- Próxima edição 07/05/2021 – 29/10/2021
- Matrículas abertas Apply Now
- Local Nairobi, Kenya
- Participantes 25
- Idioma English
About The Program
Who is it for?
Senior and middle managers in small and growing businesses (SGBs)
Amani Institute is currently running the Leadership for Growth program in an in-person format, adhering to strict covid-19 prevention measures. The classes are thoroughly fumigated, social distancing of 1.5 metres observed between participants and we have a mask-on policy during the classes. Intake for our next cohort is currently underway and the we welcome interested companies to nominate their managers for the program. The cohort will kick off with the first module on Leading Self on 7th May 2021 in an in-person format. If interested in sending managers to the program, you can nominate your managers to join the next cohort now and we shall respond with further additional details.
- Module 1 (Leading Self) - 7th and 8th May 2021
- Module 2 (Leading Others) - 11th and 12th June 2021
- Module 3 (Leading the Business) - 9th and 10th July 2021
- Module 4 (Leading the Business) - 13th and 14th August 2021
- Module 5 (Impact Showcase) - 29th October 2021
What are the benefits for your organization?
- As an employer you can expect:
- Immediate business results as your staff have acquired the business and leadership skills to manage the organization both in the present and in a rapidly changing future.
- An efficient manager development solution that doesn’t take your manager away from the business.
- A local option to learn best practices from the cutting-edge of global leadership and management thinking, at affordable, Kenyan prices.
- A solution to retention challenges through having more engaged employees in a changing workspace.
- Demonstrated proof of your commitment to talent development.
- Your managers will:
- Gain essential business and leadership skills including strategy, systems thinking, innovation, team development.
- Take advantage of a highly interactive, hands-on curriculum designed to transfer their new skills to their day-to-day job.
- Implement a business innovation project that will create a direct positive impact on your business.
- Develop a peer network across East Africa.
Why This Program
Small and growing businesses (SGBs) are global engines of shared prosperity: they drive growth, promote sustainability, and support equity around the world.
However, unlike many medium-sized companies, SGBs often lack access to the financial and knowledge resources re'quired for growth. Further, many SGBs are faced with a "Talent Challenge", a finding that also gets highlighted in the ANDE Impact Report: “Once SGBs have reached a certain size and maturity, often their biggest challenge is building a team that is able to manage their next step to scale. Recruiting the right candidates, developing current staff, and retaining the team are all key challenges.“
Further, as another report Education for the 22nd Century points out, there are gaps consisting of soft skills such as determination and decision-making, communication skills, leadership and management, entrepreneurial and critical thinking, and the ability to work in a team.
Amani Institute developed this program to address this challenge by focusing on leadership and management skills for middle and senior managers, with the aim to develop the skills necessary to manage SGBs both in the present and in a rapidly changing future world.
To learn more, contact Nzilani at [email protected]
Three core pillars
The program aims to develop mindsets, skills, and knowledge required to create positive impact across three levels: self, team, organisation. This is reflected on the three pillars of the program.
Who am I as a leader?
What is my leadership style?
What are my strengths?
How do I create an environment where people can thrive?
How does my organization create value?
How can I best solve problems?
How do I help scale my organization?
Not sure what your time through the program will look like? Check out this program outline.DOWNLOAD PDF (KENYA)
What Makes The Program Unique
Focusing on Business OutcomesThe program aims at facilitating improved business outcomes, not just learning outcomes. We work with individuals to strengthen the results of their business innovation projects.
Delivering for ApplicationBecause learning only creates value when applied, our solution is designed to facilitate on-the-job application. The practical nature of each session allows participants to apply what they have learnt, based on immediate needs within the organization. Our methodologies are focused on experiential learning and hands-on experience.
Combining Expertise, Experience & InsightIt is comprised of the three interlocking pillars of building professional expertise, on-the-job experience, and personal development.
All potential participants need to be nominated by their organization first.
The nomination form for KenyaCohort 12 can be found here. Upon receiving the nomination form, we will then send you further instructions on how your employees can apply.
If you are an employee and would like to participate, please contact [email protected].
Admission to the Leadership for Growth program is selection based. All completed applications will be assessed based on the program’s criteria for admission. (see section on eligibility above)
The participant application takes about 20 to 30 minutes to complete. It requires personal and professional information. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so we recommend that you apply early.
The program fee for participating organisations in Kenya is KES 99,000 (VAT exclusive) per person. Discounts are available for organisations sending multiple employees. It is worth noting that the cost of the program at market rates is approximately KES 500'000.
The Leadership for Growth program is partially sponsored by the Argidius Foundation.
For further information, check out our FAQ section.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some of the participant profiles?
Is the program only available in Nairobi and Uganda?
How do I know if this program is for me as a manager?
Every middle and senior manager who meets the following criteria is eligible to apply and participate in the program:
- You work for a small and growing enterprise (SGB) based in East Africa.
- You have either people management responsibilities and/or are responsible for a client portfolio.
- You have strong motivation to learn and develop yourself further and take your organisation to the next level.
- You have the approval to attend the program from your line manager or leadership team.
How do I know this program is right for my organisation?
As an organisation, If you can answer the majority of the questions below with yes, then this program is definitely suited for your organisation.
- Are you a commercially viable business with 5 to 250 employees?
- Does your company currently have 3 or more managers?
- Does your organization have the ambition and the potential to expand significantly within the next 1-3 years?
- Do you believe that investing in your managers is a key success factor to scale your business?
What type of organisations take part in the program?
Our methodology and approach, and therefore our selection process, is designed for diversity - the program is open to organisations in all industries. The organisations we have worked with to date come from diverse industries such as; Agriculture, Manufacturing, Energy, Health, Real Estate& Development, Retail, etc.
The organisations are a mix of traditional for profit but also social enterprises, ranging between 5– 250 employees.
What is the value of participating in the program?
As a participant, you will develop skills and networks that take you to the next level.
Through the program you will be able to:
- Gain essential business and leadership skills (see below for the types of skills you will gain)
- Take advantage of a highly interactive, hands-on curriculum that is designed to help you transfer the skills to your day-to-day job.
- Implement a business innovation project that will create value for your organisation and be a practical learning experience for you.
- Develop an ongoing peer network across East Africa.
What is the value of participating in the program as an employer?
As an employer, you will have skilled managers who can take your business to the next level.
Through the program you can expect:
- Positive business results due to your staff having acquired the necessary business and leadership skills to grow the organisation.
- A solution to retention challenges through having more engaged employees.
- A talent development option that would otherwise be difficult to afford.
- Demonstrated proof of your commitment to talent development, which can attract new talent into your company.
- A local option to acquire best practices from the cutting-edge of leadership and management thinking globally.
What type of weekly commitment or intensity can I expect from the program?
Are there any exams?
We don’t believe in grades but in action – there is no traditional final exam but a presentation of the innovation projects you have been working on with your host-organization during your apprenticeship. The final field trip also serves as a closing trip in which we evaluate how your personal and professional development has increased throughout the program and how you can move forward using the tools you have learned.
Where will the sessions be taking place in Nairobi?
What is the program cost?
It is worth noting that the cost of the program at market rates is approximately KES 500,000.
What does the cost cover?
The program fee includes:
- Lunches, coffee breaks and snacks provided during the five classroom modules.
- Meals, transportation, and accommodation for the offsite as part of module 1 (Kenya).
- All program materials required to participate in the program.
- Lodging in Nairobi during the classroom modules.
- Local transport to and from the Amani Institute.
Payment & Cancellation
Payment details will be provided upon acceptance to the program.